noscript image
GooglePlay Logo AppStore Logo

Son, Llorente and the VAR end City's quadruple dream in crazy encounter

Pin Llorente gave Spurs the decisive goal in their tie against City. AFP
Llorente gave Spurs the decisive goal in their tie against City. AFP

Son, Llorente and the VAR end City's quadruple dream in crazy encounter

Paul Singh by Paul Singh @besoccer_com - 2 +16k

A Son brace and a Llorente goal meant Spurs progressed to the semi-finals of the Champions League on away goals despite losing 4-3 to Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium. City had a goal disallowed by VAR in the dying seconds of the match which would have sent them through.

Tottenham Hotspur have ended Manchester City's dream of winning the quadruple in stunning and dramatic fashion despite losing 4-3 to Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium. Son took over Harry Kane's role and scored two goals and when Man City were in control at 4-2, Llorente popped up to make oit 4-3. Raheem Sterling thought he had won it for the hosts in the dying seconds, but the VAR spotted an offside in the build up.

The game started in crazy fashion with four goals in the opening eleven minutes. Sterling made it 1-0 in the fourth minute after De Bruyne played a lovely one-two with Aguero before finding Sterling on the far side. He turned into the box and shot into Lloris' bottom left hand corner. Three minutes later, it was 1-1 through Son. Lucas Moura started the move, he passed for Alli whose attempted ball for Eriksen was cut out by Laporte. The ball then fell to Son who hit past Ederson. 

In the 10th minute, Spurs took the lead. Son was the hero and Laporte the villain. The ex-Athletic Bilbao man was dispossessed by Lucas Moura in his own half, the Brazilian charged at the City defence and then laid it off for Eriksen and the Son curled it into the far corner to leave Ederson with no chance. All of a sudden, City needed three more goals to progress. They got one of those three straight away. Nice play by City, Aguero passed it for Bernardo Silva inside the box and his shot was deflected by Rose into the net. 2-2 with just 11 minutes gone after a mad start.

There was very average defending, but also some very fast attacking. Man City continued to look for more and David Silva sent a free-kick in and actually looked for goal. The ball landed on the top of net and despite Guardiola's side having 69% of the possession, it was a very open start and both sides were attacking. Eriksen fired over from outside the are after Laporte headed away an initial cross and in the 21st minute, City went 3-2 up. The hosts took a quick free-kick on the near side, Bernardo Silva passed to De Bruyne and he sent in a tremendous cross for Sterling to head in at the far stick.

The game could have easily finished 7-6 and Spurs enjoyed a good spell after the goal. Son made another brilliant run before being halted by Kompany and then Eriksen sent in a pass for Trippier which Mendy intercepted. Spurs evened up the possession in the next 10 minutes up to the half hour mark before City picked up again. 

Sissoko went down injured after 35 minutes after turning his leg awkwardly. He tried to carry on on three occasions before finally having to leave the field. Llorente replaced Sissoko and he would play a decisive role in this tie. The half finished with both teams almost scoring. Son struck a shot across the goalkeeper which went just wide of the post and then De Bruyne fired at Lloris after Bernardo Silva had handed him the ball. It was 3-2 at half-time in an absolutely crazy game

After the interval, Man City dominated proceedings and had numerous chances to get the goal they needed. De Bruyne shot over the bar in the 48th minute, then two minutes later, Sterling had the first chance by shooting at the goalkeeper and then Bernardo Silva felt he was pushed in the back on the rebound. In the 54th minute, Lloris was forced into a fantastic save by De Bruyne after he had to dive to knock away for a corner. Bernardo Silva had started the move with a superb run. The siege continued and David Silva headed over a Gundogan free-kick because Spurs fought back.

Llorente headed a cross which Ederson had to save in the 58th minute and then Eriksen tested him seconds later. City countered the counter and Aguero completed the comeback. De Bruyne made the goal with a 30 yard run from halfway after a Gundogan pass, he saw Aguero on the right who smashed into the net. The goal was definitely coming and City were cruising from then on. In the next 15 minutes, City kept the ball and Spurs hardly got close to the City box.

In the 73rd minute, Llorente made it 4-3 against the run of play. A corner was launched in and Llorente got on the end of it at the near post. The referee, Cuneyt Cakir, was called over to review the footage, but the ball did not touch his arm and he bundled it in with his hip or thigh. The referee stuck with his original call and City had to score another. 

From then on, it was a City siege. Bernardo Silva had a strike deflected, Gundogan smacked over the bar and Aguero headed at Lloris ten minutes from time. All these in a space of just two minutes. The 86th minute saw Gundogan blaze over from inside the six yard-box after Fernandinho sent in a beautoiful cross for Sane, who passed for Gundogan. Just as it looked as though time was running out, Sterling popped up to give City the key goal... or so he thought.

Eriksen stupidly lost the ball in his own half, A City pass was flicked on by Bernardo Silva to Aguero and then he passed fro Sterling to fire home. It sparked wild celebrations in the stadiu and Guardiola ran down the touchline. Unfortunately for them, Aguero was just offside and the VAR chalked off the goal. Spurs managed to hold out the final minute of the game and ended up qualifying for the semi-finals courtesy of their 1-0 win in the first leg. Spurs celebrated wildly on the bench and City's quadruple dream was ended in sudden and dramatic fashion in possibly the game of the decade.

Paul Singh

Paul Singh

news 388 RANK 13
More news author

Follow BeSoccer on Facebook