noscript image

Rayo Vallecano v Barcelona - Preview and possible lineups

Toby Craven by Toby Craven @rfutbol - 1 7,383

Pin Lionel Messi is still unfit to play for Barcelona. AFP
Lionel Messi is still unfit to play for Barcelona. AFP

Rayo Vallecano v Barcelona - Preview and possible lineups

Toby Craven by Toby Craven @rfutbol - 1 7,383

We take a look ahead to Saturday's Primera Division fixture between Rayo Vallecano and Barcelona at the Estadio de Vallecas.

Rayo Vallecano: Gorka Elustondo and Tito will again miss out with hamstring and knee problems respectively for manager Michel's side, but on-loan Stoke City midfielder Giannelli Imbula will start for the home side. Adri Embarba is also expected to feature in the final third, although Alex Alegria was on the scoresheet against Leganes on Tuesday night, and the Spaniard is pushing for a spot in the XI.

Barcelona: Lionel Messi has returned to training following a fractured arm, but the Argentine is not in the squad for this match. Samuel Umtiti has also stepped up his recovery from a knee problem, although the Frenchman is still unavailable. Thomas Vermaelen remains on the sidelines with a hamstring problem, meanwhile, meaning that Clement Lenglet will again start alongside Gerard Pique at centre-back.

Rayo Vallecano manager Michel on his side's chances as the underdogs:

"When the game kicks off, we will have a 50/50 chance of winning. 90% of Spain thinks we're going to lose, and the other 10% are vallecanos - we're going to play for them."

Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde on the importance of this game:

"The three points that are on offer in Vallecas are the same amount as you get for beating Madrid. Our previous defeat against Leganes can be a message for us, without a doubt.

"The fact that we lost that game gives us a lesson to learn from and we will do that."

Form:

Did you know?

Barcelona have scored 24 goals in their last five games against Rayo.

The Blaugrana have scored five times on each of their last two games against Vallecano.

Possible lineups:

Rayo Vallecano: Garcia; Advincula, Galvez, Amat, Moreno; Imbula, Comesana, Trejo; Kakuta, De Thomas, Embarba

Barcelona: Ter Stegen; Roberto, Pique, Lenglet, Alba; Arthur, Busquets, Rakitic; Coutinho, L Suarez, Rafinha

BeSoccer prediction: 0-4

Toby Craven

Toby Craven

news 101 RANK 20
READS 336K RANK 21
More news author
Cookies use: We use our own and third party "cookies" to improve our services, develop statistical analysis, analyse browsing habits and create interest groups. This allows us to customise the content we offer and show related advertising to your preferences. We also share this browsing analysis and interest groups with third parties. To continue browsing, please accept its use. More info and settings. Accept

Follow BeSoccer on Facebook